Sometimes the rules change. Maintaining compliance keeps the industry moving forward.
If you’re going to be in the cannabis industry, you want to do it right from the beginning!
Here are some highlights the CannaLaw Group wrote about the importance of following the rules.
Well run, successful companies comply with the law. This means all laws , all applicable states, counties, cities, towns, and other jurisdictions. If you are operating a business you should approach compliance from the perspective that you cannot “get out of” legal violations by arguing that you were unaware of or did not understand the regulations.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
In recent years, large U.S. companies have prioritized legal compliance efforts, established compliance departments, appointed compliance officers, and implemented corporate-wide compliance policies, procedures, and training. These efforts represent the “gold standard” of legal compliance programs. This gold standard approach is not feasible for all companies and some companies would not choose it even if it were. (That is what separates mediocrity and excellence!)
Effective compliance programs ensure that a cannabis company undertakes the following actions:
- Identify applicable laws and regulations (and stay up to date!)
- Prioritize laws according to possible impact on a company’s operations
- Develop and implement procedures to address prioritized legal obligations
- Document compliance procedures
- Communicate procedures throughout the company and to the company’s business partners, specifically through training* (*Sell-SMaRT™ Responsible Vendor training is a mitigating factor, should your company be fined.)
- Archive compliance procedures
To read more of their article, click here.
If you’re ready to take your team to the next level of standards excellence, let us train them with our Sell-SMaRT™ program.
Email Heather@CannabisTrainers.com for more info.